We gotta get these bitches out of here.
#i feel like this is also an important showcase of the different tones of insult women face! #natasha is scary and strong and she takes down the bitches comment #because someone as unwilling to play the game as her would see it a lot #(like scarlet herself does whenever she speaks out about her bullshit treatment) #but pepper is someone who lives and breathes those powerplays#so she gets ”honey” she gets the sweet ones #we’re all on the same side here honey there’s no need to make that call #be sweet and soft and quiet know your place honey #and they’re both awful and sickening #and bad and unokay and you never doubt that! #the threat of violence is something natasha takes down easily #but pepper not bowing to a #air quotes #friendly piece of advice from a friend in the business #is just as amazing and strong #unimpressed ginger coalition more like do you see how easy it is to have two female characters #do you see how easy it is to have them interact #wow it’s like women are people and not a delightful array of barbies with slightly different dresses on
1. Don’t think that being published will make you happy. It will for four weeks, if you are lucky. Then it’s the same old fucking shit.
2. Hemingway was fucking wrong. You shouldn’t write drunk. (See my third novel for details.)
3. Hemingway was also right. ‘The first draft of everything is shit.’
4. Never ask a publisher or agent what they are looking for. The best ones, if they are honest, don’t have a fucking clue, because the best books are the ones that seemingly come from nowhere.
5. In five years time the semi-colon is going to be nothing more than a fucking wink.
6. In five years time every fucking person on Twitter will be a writer.
7. Ignore the fucking snobs. Write that space zombie sex opera. Just give it some fucking soul.
8. If it’s not worth fucking reading, it’s not worth fucking writing. If it doesn’t make people laugh or cry or blow their fucking minds then why bother?
9. Don’t be the next Stephen King or the next Zadie Smith or the next Neil Gaiman or the next Jonathan Safran fucking Foer. Be the next fucking you.
10. Stories are fucking easy. PLOT OF EVERY BOOK EVER: Someone is looking for something. COMMERCIAL VERSION: They find it. LITERARY VERSION: They don’t find it. (That’s fucking it.)
11. No-one knows anything. Especially fucking me. Except:
12. Don’t kill off the fucking dog.
13. Oh, yeah, and lastly: write whatever you fucking want.
Matt Haig, “Some Fucking Writing Tips” (via alcantrez)